Dr. Stephen Michielsen (Steve)
Director of Professional Development of Graduate Scholars
Textile Engineering, Chemistry, and Science
- Technical Textiles and Textile Structures
- Health and Safety
- Nanosciences, Surface Modification, Fibers and Polymers
Surface modification of polymers, nanotechnology, smart polymers, nonwovens, structure/property/process relationships, Raman spectroscopy of polymers, polymer physics.
In particular, we try to covalently bond 1-10 nm thick coatings onto polymerics surfaces to introduce new functionality. My research group has developed antimicrobial treatments, and superhydrophobic materials (with water contact angles as high as 178 degrees). We have increased surface electrical charges, dye-sites, and stain resistance. We are currently working on ways to enhance electrical conductivity, UV and NIR absorption, and signalling characteristics for sensors. Of particular interest is the interplay of materials science with polymer physics using polymer chemistry to impart the desired functionalilty.
Most Recent Publications
1. Du, J., Michielsen, S., Lee, H. J. (2012). Profiles of Liquid Drops at the Bottom of Cylindrical Fibers Standing on Flat Substrates. , 28 (722-728) .
2. Yilmaz, N. D., Michielsen, S., Banks-Lee, P., Powell, N. (2012). Effects of Material and Treatment Parameters on Noise Control Performance of Compressed Three-Layered Multi-Fiber Needle-Punched Nonwovens. Journal of Applied Polymer Science , 123 , 2095-2106.
3. Light Activated Antiviral Materials and Devices and Methods for Decontaminating Virus Infected Environments, P-No. 146398 - Michielsen, S., Churchward, G., Bozja, J, Stojilkovic, I. (2011). Singapore .
4. Du, J., Michielsen, S., & Lee, H.J. (2011). Profiles of Liquid Drops at the Bottom of Cylindrical Fibers Standing on Flat Substrates. Langmuir , 27 .
5. Yilmaz, N.D., Michielsen, S., Banks-Lee, P., & Powell, N.B. (2011). Effects of Material and Treatment Parameters on Noise-Control Performance of Compressed Three-Layered Multifiber Needle-Punched Nonwovens. Journal of Applied Polymer Science , 123 (4) , 2095-2106.
Recently, Dr. Michielsen has invented an antiviral fabric with collaborators at Emory University (Atlanta, GA). A new spinoff company, LaamScience, has licensed this material from NC State University to bring it to the marketplace.
TT 105 Introduction to Textiles
TT 341 Knitted Fabric Technology
TMS 762 Physical Properties of Fiber Forming Polymers, Fibers and Fibrous Structures
Joo Ran Kim
Wetting Behavior of Single Fibers
Durable Antistatic Polyester Fabrics
Water Solubility of Polymer Bound Dyes
Photostability of Dyes
Surface Modification of Polymers
Ph. D. Physical Chemistry, University of Chicago, 1979.
B.S. Chemistry, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1972.
The Fiber Society - Treasurer
American Chemical Society
American Physical Society