Dr. Xiangwu Zhang
Textile Engineering, Chemistry, and Science
- Nanosciences, Surface Modification, Fibers and Polymers
- Energy, Environment and Sustainability
- Health and Safety
Zhang's research interests focus on nanostructured and multifunctional polymer, fiber, and textile materials with an emphasis on practical applications: i) energy storage and conversion, ii) chemical and biological protection, and iii) composites. His research encompasses both fundamental materials studies such as synthesis and physical characterization, as well as system design and fabrication. Following are examples of current research topics:
- Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Lithium-Air Batteries
- Lithium-Sulfur Batteries
- Sodium-Ion Batteries
- Fuel Cells
- Chemical and Biological Protection Fabrics
- Nano-Finishing of Textile Fabrics
- Advanced Electrospinning Systems
- Advanced Centrifugal Spinning Systems
Most Recent Publications
1. Narendiran Vitchuli, Quan Shi, Joshua Nowak, Rupesh Nawalakhe, Michael Sieber, Mohamed Bourham, Xiangwu Zhang, and Marian McCord (2013). Atmospheric Plasma Application to Improve Adhesion of Electrospun Nanofibers onto Protective Fabric. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology , 27 , 924-938.
2. Ying Li, Bingkun Guo, Liwen Ji, Zhan Lin, Guanjie Xu, Yinzheng Liang, Shu Zhang, Ozan Toprakci, Yi Hu, Mataz Alcoutlabi, and Xiangwu Zhang (2013). Structure Control and Performance Improvement of Carbon Nanofibers Containing a Dispersion of Silicon Nanoparticles for Energy Storage. Carbon , 51 , 185-194.
3. Mataz Alcoutlabi, Hun Lee, Jill V. Watson, and Xiangwu Zhang (2013). Preparation and Properties of Nanofiber-Coated Composite Membranes as Battery Separators via Electrospinning. Journal of Materials Science , 48 , 2690-2700.
4. Ying Li, Guanjie Xu, Leigang Xue, Shu Zhang, Yingfang Yao, Yao Lu, Ozan Topracki, and Xiangwu Zhang (2013). Enhanced Rate Capability by Employing Carbon Nanotube-Loaded Electrospun Si/C Composite Nanofibers as Binder-Free Anodes. Journal of Electrochemical Society , 160 , A528-A534.
5. Quan Shi, Narendiran Vitchuli, Joshua Nowak, Shan Jiang, Jane M. Caldwell, Frederick Breidt, Mohamed Bourham, Xiangwu Zhang, and Marian McCord (2013). Multiffunctional and Durable Nanofiber-Fabric-Layered Composite for Protective Application. Journal of Applied Polymer Science , 128 , 1219-1226.
Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2002 - 2006
Postdoctoral Associate, Center for Electrochemical Systems and Hydrogen Research, Texas A&M University, 2001 - 2002
Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, 2001
Dissertation: Preparation and Properties of Polymeric Composites Filled with Low-Melting-Point Alloy
B.S., Polymer Materials and Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, 1997
Minor, Computer Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, 1997
- Guest Professor, Zhejiang Sci-Tech University
- Co-Founder, Tec-Cel, Inc.
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Energy Storage and Conversion
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of textile Science and Engineering
- Editorial Board Member, Intenational Journal of Nano Science, Nano Engineering and Nanotechnology
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Membrane Science & Technology
- Editorial Board Member, Global Journal of Physical Chemistry
- Full Member and Departmental Liaison Officer, Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
- Affiliate Member and Textile and Composites Engineering Technical Committee Member, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Active Member, The Electrochemical Society (ECS)
- Full Member, The American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Full Member, Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Full Member, The Fiber Society
- Member, American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC)