Dr. Marian G. McCord
Textile Engineering, Chemistry, and Science
- Nanosciences, Surface Modification, Fibers and Polymers
- Technical Textiles and Textile Structures
- Health and Safety
Barrier Fabrics - Chemical and Biological
Structure/Property relationships of fibers
Plasma Surface Modification
Most Recent Publications
1. Vitchuli, N., Shi, Q., Nowak, J., Nawalakhe, R., Sieber, M., Bourham, M., McCord, M., Zhang, X. (2012). Plasma-Electrospinning Hybrid Process and Plasma Pretreatment to Improve Adhesive Properties of Nanofibers on Fabric Surface. Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing , 32 , 275-291.
2. Shi, Q., Vitchuli, N., Nowak, J., Caldwell, J. M., Breidt, F., Bourham, M., Zhang, X., McCord, M. (2011). Durable Antibacterial Ag/Polyacrylonitrile (Ag/PAN) Hybrid Nanofibers Prepared by Atmospheric Plasma Treatment and Electrospinning. European Polymer Journal , 47 , 1402-1409.
3. Shi, Q., Vitchuli, N., Nowak, J., Caldwell, J. M., Breidt, F., Bourham, M., Zhang, X., McCord, M. (2011). One-step synthesis of Silver Nanoparticle-Filled Nylon 6 Nanofibers and Their Antibacterial Properties. Journal of Materials Chemistry , 21 , 10330-10335.
4. Vitchuli, N., Shi, Q., Nowak, J., Kay, K., Caldwell, J. M., Breidt, F., Bourham, M., McCord, M., Zhang, X. (2011). Multifunctional Zinc Oxide/Nylon 6 Nanofiber Mats by Electrospinning-Electrospraying Hybrid Process for Use in Protective Applications. Science and Technology of Advanced Materials , 12 (055004) .
5. Shi, Q., Vitchuli, N., Ji, L., Nowak, J., McCord, M., Bourham, M., & Zhang, X. (2011). A Facile Approach to Fabricate Porous Nylon 6 Nanofibers using Silica Nanotemplate . J. Appl. Poly. Sci. , 120 , 115-122.
Marian Gayle McCord was born on November 14, 1963 in Newport, Rhode Island. She graduated from Middletown High School in Middletown, RI, in 1981. She received a Sc.B. in Biomedical Engineering at Brown University in 1985. Next, she worked at Moss Rehabilitation Hospital in Philadelphia, performing diagnostic testing and research in brain electrophysiology from 1985-1987. Next followed a long stint as what her parents lovingly referred to as a "professional student". Dr. McCord received a Master's Degree in Bioengineering in 1989 and a Ph. D. degree in Textiles and Polymer Science in 1994, both at Clemson University, Clemson, SC. Dr. McCord joined the faculty in the Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science Dept. in the College of Textiles at NC State University in August of 1994.
TMS211 Intro to Fiber Science
TMS211L Introduction to Fiber Science Lab
TMS362 Geometry and Mechanics of Textiles Materials
TMS589A/TE589B Polymer Biomaterials Engineering
TE466/566 Polymer Biomaterials Engineering
TE201L Textile Engineering Science
BME202 Introductory Topics in Biomedical Engineering
BME495R Biomedical Engineering Undergrad Research
Brown University Biomedical Engineering - Sc. B., 1985
Clemson University Bioengineering - M.S., 1989
Clemson University Textiles and Polymer Science - Ph. D., 1994
Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES)
ASTM F-23 Committee on Protective Clothing
Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI), Protective Barriers Working Group
NC State Association of Women Faculty
American Society for Engineering Education
Society for Biomaterials