Lifetime Career Services
The textile industry is an extremely specialized and ever-changing industry, and NC State's College of Textiles (COT) is an equally specialized educational institution that serves the industry. It is appropriate, therefore, that the college have a structured system in place to help match qualified alumni with positions that require experience. To meet the need for a systematic matching network, Student and Career Services and the Textile Alumni Society have created the Lifetime Career Service (LCS).
The COT has always been known for high placement rates at graduation. These results are due, in part, from industry's demand for qualified entry-level graduates and, in part, from the COT's Office of Student and Career Services. For many years, textile companies and executive search firms have been approaching Student and Career Services in search of experienced Textile graduates. And for many years, alumni have been contacting the COT for continuing career assistance long after graduation. However, until the creation of the LCS, matches were made only when time permitted.
Now, through Student and Career Services, the Textile Alumni Society and the LCS, the college provides valuable assistance to graduates at any stage in their career.
Until a COT graduate has accepted his or her first full-time position Student and Career Services serves the alumnus through undergraduate career assistance. After the alumnus has accepted a full-time position, he or she may use the LCS to explore other opportunities in the textile industry.
To use the LCS, a COT alumnus simply downloads the appropriate form, completes it, and submits it via mail complete with a copy of their resume to the College of Textiles. Upon receiving the resume, Kent Hester, the director of Student and Career Services, will try to contact the individual. Once this initial contact is made, a file of resumes and records of references for each alumnus will be set up.
There is no cost for these services.
Summary of Services
For Textile Alumni
- Unlimited Referrals
- Wolftext Alumni Newsletter
- Unlimited office visits
- Career Counseling
- Limited use of the COT Career Office
- Assistance with resumes / letters
- Faxing or mailing of resumes on request
- Bi-weekly list of job openings
For Companies and Executive Search Firms
- Unlimited job postings
- Unlimited job listings
- Wolftext Alumni Newsletter
- For Search Firms, name on referral list
- For Companies, invitation to annual Job Forum and Career Fair
Forms of assistance available to alumni and companies seeking qualified COT alumni:
- Job openings mailed to alumni seeking career assistance on a biweekly basis.
- Job openings e-mailed to all Textile faculty.
- Job openings posted in the Job Openings Notebook within the Textile Alumni Office. Those visiting or calling for career assistance may get contacts through this notebook.
- Resume Cross-referencing: Once a resume is filed in the Textile Alumni Office, it is cross referenced with all new job openings submitted to the COT. With the consent of the alumnus, resumes will be faxed or mailed to companies.
Printable Registration Forms
Director, Student & Career Services
Box 8301, NCSU Campus
Raleigh, NC 27695-8301